Thursday, January 12, 2012

One year later

Today is the first anniversary of my divorce.  Surviving that is indeed a milestone to celebrate.  But rather than dwell on the past, I'm looking forward to the future.
One year ago I was a mess.  I cried at the drop of a hat, had terrible insomnia and emotional lability.  I could not even contemplate facing the spath without a beta-blocker and an anxiolytic.  I was numb for the entire negotiation (or more appropriately, extortion) process. 
I know I've come a long way.  I am healthier and happier than I've been in a long time.  I finished a 60,000 word book.  I finally sold my second house which has been hanging for three long years like a millstone around my neck (yesterday!), and am remodeling to make my kitchen into my dream kitchen.
Exactly 51 weeks ago, I spent a good part of an afternoon with members of a certain government agency armed with documents garnered during the divorce.  I don't know if they'll be able to put him in jail, but certainly there will be penalties paid, and he'll know that he hasn't gotten away with everything that he believes he has. I have exercised my constitutional rights and bought a firearm.
I have paid a quarter of a million dollars in tuition to the University of Hard Knocks and earned a doctorate in Difficult Life Experiences.  I am smarter and wiser now for my tribulations.  I will no longer be a patsy. 
My two boys are turning into wonderful young men.  I am so proud of both of them!  I have a wonderful circle of friends who have been so willing to give me support and love.  And while we're busier than ever at work (job security), I still look forward to interacting with my colleagues and patients every day.  I have so much to be thankful for.......

It's going to be a GREAT year!!!

4 comments:

  1. Noelle, I too am a physician who was married to a psychopath. I would like to talk with you about my work with victims and my research. I can't find an email for you anywhere. Mine is ljleedom@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle,

    I am a producer at ABC News 20/20 and I would love to talk to you about your story in more detail, even if it's just off the record. Please contact me at jessica.h.hornig.-nd@abc.com.

    Best, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your story so common. I, myself, married one and the shame and guilt about being so gullible was terrific. I wrote a little book on amazon.com. The best professional I have found is Sandra L. Brown at http://www.psychologytoday.com/experts/sandra-brown-ma

    What truly surprised me was the onslaught of negativity of response from males. To me, this highlights just how "unaware" many are about psychopathy. It is NOT for the faint of heart and the damage to the "soul" of the victim/target is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you. Much continued healing. Sandra

    ReplyDelete